Until The Sky Swallows us I will Love You | Night Two - It's raining

It’s raining. I think it’s raining. I can’t see the rain, but I can hear the thick droplets as they hit our window. The sky is crying tonight, mourning some unknown thing. Michael is holding me as I take it in. He knows I can’t remember what the rain was like, and once it ends I might not again. He rests his face near mine, and his breath is boiling my skin alive, his hands are burning my own and I know he can see the tears falling outside. I wish I could. But all I can see is fog.

Michael knows all of this. He knows me, however little I decide to tell him. He knows what’ll make me cry and what’ll make me smile. He knows my connection to the rain, but I don’t. All I know is that it is me. Somehow, somewhere, the rain knows me like he does. And that comforts me.

He rests a hand on my cheek as he looks me in the eyes. I can’t see him properly, but I can feel him staring. He talks, and talks, but it’s all just noise. And he knows this, but he does it anyway. I lean into his burning hands and I close my eyes and I feel all the warmth that makes up his existence. And I listen to the rain as it drowns out the sky. He can see, so why can’t I? His sight is so profound and meaningful. He sees past all the defenses I build us, all my attempts at ignorance to the outside world. He sees past it all, and he sees me instead.

I hear small parts of his words as he holds me ever closer. ‘Isaac’, he speaks my name, ‘you’re cold’, he mutters in my ear. He knows I can’t tell what he’s saying, but he tries anyway. I love listening to his nonsense. I love hearing the rain. All I could want aside from that is to see past the fog and dust and dirt that coats my brain, the frosty glass which covers my eyes and the water clogging my ears, muffling every sound.

He’s burning. Burning so bright and so beautiful. He’s so different to me, such an opposite force to everything I am. I am the cold and the rain and the ice and the snow. He is the warmth and the sun and the fire and the day. He is so much more beautiful than I am and he loves me. Michael has the clarity I dream of having, and the fire I don’t think I ever will.

When the fog fades, I hope to see him again. Hear his nonsense clearly, see his flame become brighter. But for now, I keep my eyes closed tighter shut, I feel his hands, so gentle, against my face, and I hold myself close enough that he can’t let go of me. His voice passes through my ears as he rests his face near them. I can’t remember what he sounds like, even as he speaks. I feel cold. When did I start feeling cold? Why does he make me feel warm? How did we get here?

We’re in the cabin. Michael is on fire. The world is ending. I am forgetting. The fog is heavy. I am… falling.

Wait. No. That’s not right. I’m in my bed, and Michael is holding me. It is raining. 


Authors notes:

  1. Isaac often talks about a connection to the rain, loving the rain, etc... this is vaguely correct, but it is slightly more complex, as it does connect to bad memories. Though Isaacs memory is off, so it can be interprited as an effect of that.
  2. No, the ending is not suggesting a dream scenario. This is Isaac remembering where he is after an especially bad lapse in memory where he feels like he is falling into nothing. (Cheery, I know :3)

Comments